The Punch And The Prince 1969 Wales v Ireland


Brian Price

The South Wales echo headlined “a right royal punch up” in its report of the Wales v Ireland match at Cardiff Arms Park, on 8 March 1969, a match attended by HRH the Prince of Wales..


The Prince Of Newport & The Prince Of Wales

This match was seen as the key to the championship, that year.

Ireland and Wales were both unbeaten and the match was played at a Cardiff Arms Park, that resembled a giant airfix kit, as the the North Stand was in the process of being rebuilt

As a result, the crowd capacity was reduced from 52,000 to 29,000

The pitch did not have one blade of grass on it, and was so poor, I think the Horse of The Year show organisers would have deemed it unsuitable.

Ireland had received some critisism from the press as a result of their “robust” play in earlier matches, and Wales were determined to face up to their aggression.

The match began sensationally, within three minutes of introducing his team to the Prince, Brian Price floored Irish flanker, Noel Murphy with a punch that Henry Cooper would have been proud of.


Noel Murphy takes it on the chin

Brian Price said later that he felt a pair of hands heading towards his eyes,  so he “let him have it

Later in the first half Irish hooker Ken Kennedy was also floored, resulting in captain Tom Kiernan threatening to take his team off the field, Gareth Edwards spoke to fellow “Lion” Kiernan,but the conversation is not suitable for print.

Kiernan then kicked Ireland into an early lead, which Barry John levelled with a drop goal.

The game was brutal, Brian Thomas was led from the field with blood pouring from his face, to be stitched on the touch-line whilst the game went on around him.

In the eighth minute of first half injury time, Wales were awarded a penalty on the Irish 25 yard line, the Irish team turned their backs, expecting an inevitable Keith Jarrett place kick, by the time they looked around, Jarrett had tapped, and fed a trundling Denzil Williams, the Ebbw Vale prop, who ran over unopposed in the corner.

Jarrett converted the try, which took Wales into a 8-6 half time lead.

After the interval Ireland fell apart, conceeding tries to Newport wing Stuart Watkins, Dai Morris and John Taylor.

Mike Gibson scored a late length of the field try, but by that time the match was over as a contest.

Wales won 24-11, but the match will always be remembered for the punch and the prince.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s